Our friend, Clarke Ingram, shared this little tidbit from January, 1949 with us today. Before the FCC froze approval of licenses and reallocated channels across the country, Pittsburgh was allocated channels 3, 6, 8 and 10. WDTV (DuMont) signed on in 1949 on channel 3 but was moved to channel 2 in 1952. Of course, Westinghouse bought the station in 1954 and transitioned it to KDKA-TV. Channel 3 was the only station on the air in Pittsburgh before the multi-year reallocation project. None of the other applications listed made it.
For the record, Allegheny Broadcasting Corporation owned KQV and Pittsburgh Radio Supply House owned WJAS. Meanwhile, Matta Broadcasting owned WLOA in Braddock.